An academic research and discourse project on a 5 month ”Journey to the East”
(2024.02 – 2024.07)
Bike with us, or participate in one of the 15 events !
By Ole Bouman, prof at CAUP Tongji University Shanghai
In collaboration with Martine De Maeseneer
We’re inviting KU Leuven / Tongji alumni, partners and students who like to be involved, to engage, to host and to perform at one of the “Journey to the East” events, allowing participants to interact, learn local conditions, and be part of a growing community of lasting connections across the architecture Silk road for the future. Please become co-curator of each project and help this journey to navigate the most important stories and sites between Leuven and Shanghai.Tentative Program for each event :
– Travel report of last 1000 km
– Interview and conversation between Leuven and Shanghai alumni, partners, students and locals
– Topical architectural discourse by local teacher
– Prepared hand over “one seed, one thread” by local participants
– Call for cycling together on next 100 km
Potential West versus East topics, envisioned on the following event locations between Leuven and Shanghai :
Each site can be shifted to a regional partner, allowing the journey to continue into the given direction. The actual schedule has to be determined (due to the nature of this alumni event, frequent improvisations will be natural).
Read more and register on this event page.
- to participate in one of the 15 debates or 150 bike stages of the 15.000 km long route between Leuven and Shanghai.
- to participate in the linked Visiting School Course open for alumni / students / externals.
In the case of travel (when participants are willing to participate on-site), all participants are personally responsible to obtain all legal documents and permits to travel and stay in that particular location, and should also provide in their own insurance and liability. No funds are available from KU Leuven to travel.