The Prijs Jef Van Ranst – Drawing Attention searches for those manual drawings that visually challenge, question or express a process, idea or spatial representation. The competition is exclusively for bachelor and master students of all Flemish architecture faculties.
The Flemish faculties are called upon to look out for the strong drawings of their students and to make selections of drawings and sketchbooks (of two bachelor students and two master students). The selections are made on the basis of the design bundles that the students must submit to their architectural design teacher at the beginning of July for their training. The jury and representatives of the Van Ranst family will then announce their choice during the jury moment, in consultation with the supervising teachers. (The works can also be uploaded digitally on the website.) More information and regulations can be found at www.prijsjefvanranst.be.
This year the renowned Spanish architect Ricardo Flores is the jury chairman. Also on the jury are Dirk Somers from Bovenbouw Architectuur, Philippe Van Goethem from SVR-Architects and Sophie Leemans (winner of the Jef Van Ranst Prize 2019). The jury will meet on 15 September 2021 to assess the submitted works.
Award ceremony, exhibition and symposium:
Ricardo Flores (Flores I Prats Arquitectes) is the central guest at our symposium+exhibition ‘Drawing Attention’ and the presentation of the Prijs Jef Van Ranst 2021. This event will take place on Friday, October 15 2021at 5:30 pm in the Grote Post in Ostend, also the location for the Festival van de Architectuur (organized by the VAi, from 14 to 17 October).
– WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION: Sofie De Caigny, director Flanders Architecture Institute
– KEYNOTE – DRAWING WITHOUT ERASING – RICARDO FLORES: Ricardo Flores is founder of the well-known Spanish architectural studio Flores i Prats Arquitectes and chairman of the jury of the Prijs Jef Van Ranst 2021. The office of Ricardo Flores and Eva Prats works on a wide range of projects, from renovations to design of new public spaces and social housing. In Belgium, Flores i Prats is involved in the renovation of the Théâtre des Variétés in Brussels.
– DEBATE – THE POWER OF THE SKETCH: with Ricardo Flores, Dirk Somers, topman Bovenbouw Architecten, Philippe Van Goethem, CEO SVR-ARCHITECTS and drawing researcher Riet Eeckhout (KU Leuven). Moderator: Prof. dr. Saidja Heynickx (UHasselt)
– AWARD OF THE 2021 JEF VAN RANST PRIZE AND RECEPTION
- Register here for the symposium and award ceremony.
De Prijs Jef Van Ranst – Drawing Attention is an initiative of the Stichting Jef Van Ranst with the Flanders Architecture Institute, SVR-Architects, KU Leuven, Universiteit Antwerpen, UHasselt, VUB and UGent.